French beef bourguignon casserole
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 120 mins | Marinate time: 2hrs or overnight
- 1.5kg Farm88 diced beef casserole steak
- 4 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 4-5 sprigs of thyme
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 30g butter
- 12 (about 280g) small pickling onions or shallots, peeled
- 200g button mushrooms, stalks trimmed
- 250g bacon, rind removed, cut into short strips
- 1 cup water
- Place beef cubes into 2.5-3cm cubes in a large bowl. Add the herbs and wine. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Drain the beef and put aside the marinade and herbs. Pat the beef dry with paper towels. Heat a large frypan over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 3 batches. Remove each batch and place in a casserole dish. Pour over the reserved marinade and herbs. Add the stock and flour. Stir to mix.
- Cover the casserole dish, place in oven. Stir every 40 minutes or so, adding water if needed to keep the ingredients just covered. Cook until the beef is almost tender (about 80 minutes).
- Heat the oil and butter in a small frypan, add the onions and cook stirring for 10 minutes or until lightly golden (but not soft), remove and set aside. Cook the mushrooms in 2 batches, adding a little more butter if needed, remove and set aside. Add the bacon to the pan, cook until crispy. Add the onions, mushrooms, bacon and water to the beef, stir gently to combine. Cook for a further 20-30 minutes or until the beef is tender.