Ginger, honey and soy beef mini roast
Serves 6 | Preparation Time: 15 mins | Cooking Time: 1 hr 35 mins
- 1.25kg Farm88 yearling beef mini roast (oyster blade roast, fat trimmed)
- 5cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ cup dark soy
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 700g chat potatoes
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- ¼ cup Japanese mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives +extra, to garnish
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Asian baby salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat a barbecue with all burners on to 180ºC.
- In a small bowl combine ginger, garlic, soy, honey and oil. Place beef in large snap lock bag or ceramic dish, rub beef with marinade and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pat beef with paper towel to remove excess marinade. Place beef in centre of barbecue and turn burners directly under it off. Leave remaining burners on to conduct and circulate heat around beef. Close lid and cook beef for 50 minutes for rare, 65 minutes for medium and 75 minutes for well done. For ease and accuracy use a meat thermometer. Check temperature when estimated cooking time is up, 60°C for rare, 65°C - 70°C for medium and 75°C for well done.
- Remove beef, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a microwave safe container for 4 to 5 minutes on HIGH (100%) or until tender. Set aside to cool slightly. Halve potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add miso, mayonnaise and chives, season with pepper and toss gently to coat potatoes.
- Using a peeler or spiraliser* make carrot noodles. Place into a large bowl, drizzle with vinegar and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Thinly slice beef. Serve beef with potato salad, extra chives, carrot noodles and salad leaves.
- *A spiraliser will create thin carrot noodles. Alternatively use a peeler for wider carrot ribbons.
- You could also use a topside, blade or round roast for this recipe.
- Use tamari sauce instead of soy sauce for a gluten-free marinade.
- To cook in oven, preheat oven to 180°C (160° fan-forced). In a small bowl combine ginger, garlic, soy, honey and oil. Place beef in a roasting pan, rub marinade over beef and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place beef in oven and cook for 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 160°C (140° fan-forced) and roast for a further hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices until browned and cooked to your liking. Add some water to the pan if marinade is burning. Remove from pan, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.