One-pot beef casserole with roasted eggplant
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10mins | Cooking Time: 120mins
- 1kg Farm88 yearling beef diced casserole steak
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1-2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or small sprigs of rosemary or parsley
- 3 lady finger eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into large chunks
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut beef into 2.5cm-3cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper, add 2 tbsp oil, and mix well. Heat a large frypan over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches. Remove each batch and place in casserole dish.
- Reduce heat in the pan, add a little oil, add the sliced onion, cook for 1–2 minutes, and stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until the onion is coated. Gradually pour in stock and wine and add the tomato paste, stirring well. Add the herbs, stir until the mixture boils. Add to the casserole dish, stir to combine. Cover the casserole dish, place in oven, and cook until the beef is very tender. Stir every 40 minutes or so, add water if needed to keep the ingredients just covered. In the last 30 minutes cooking time roast eggplant slices and red capsicum in the oven as the casserole cooks, gently stir them into the cooked casserole to serve.
- How to tell if your casserole is simmering gently enough? You’ll see small clusters of tiny bubbles rise to the surface as it cooks. Stir it occasionally and adjust the heat up or down as it cooks, if needed.