Pastizzi and Spiced Tomato Dipping Sauce
Preparation time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 35 minutes
x1 packet Mediterranean Pastizzi (frozen) available in assorted flavours* at Tasman Butchers
1/3 of cup onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1½ teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon hot paprika (or to taste)
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch cayenne
1 pinch of ground cloves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1½ tablespoons of cider vinegar
1 400gram (15 ounce) can of tomatoes, chopped and the juice reserved
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 250°C
- Bake from frozen for approximately 20 - 25 mins, or until golden brown.
- In medium saucepan, saute onions, garlic and ginger over low heat until onion is translucent. Add spices and saute until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Stir in vinegar and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, juice and brown sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Cool slightly and blend sauce in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
* Subject to availability flavours are: Spinach & Feta, Ricotta, Spinach & Ricotta