Pastizzi and spiced tomato dipping sauce
Preparation time: 5mins | Cooking time: 35mins
x1 packet Pastizzi (frozen* available in assorted flavours at Tasman Butchers)
⅓ of cup onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 ½ tsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp hot paprika (or to taste)
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 pinch cayenne
1 pinch of ground cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ tbsp of cider vinegar
400gram (15 ounce) can of tomatoes, chopped and the juice reserved
2 tbsp of brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 250°C
- Bake from frozen for approximately 20 - 25 mins, or until golden brown.
- In medium saucepan, saute onions, garlic and ginger over low heat until onion is translucent. Add spices and saute until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Stir in vinegar and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, juice and brown sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Cool slightly and blend sauce in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
* Subject to availability in selected flavours