Savoury beef mince & pasta
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes
500g Tasman beef mince
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large carrot, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
400g can crushed tomatoes with herbs
2 tbsp thyme leaves
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup (250ml) beef stock
400g pasta of choice
Shaved parmesan, small basil leaves, mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic, carrot and celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add mince and cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste, salt, pepper, smoke paprika, tomatoes, thyme, Worcestershire and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Season.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to packet instructions. Drain.
- Divide pasta between bowls and top with mince mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan and basil and serve with mixed salad.
- The mince base can also be used for tacos, quesadillas, or nachos, to name a few.
- Add some chilli flakes or fresh chilli for a spicy mince.
- The mince base also freezes well – make a double batch and pop half in the freezer.
- Even better the next day and serve with rice