Spiced Beef Shawarma
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 10 mins
- 600g Farm88 yearling beef rump steak, extra trim
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp each ground cumin, coriander, black pepper, salt
- ¼ tsp each ground cinnamon, turmeric, chilli powder
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 - 4 tbsp water, as required
- salt & pepper
- pita or flatbreads
- ripe tomatoes, sliced
- pickles or pickled veg
- cos lettuce, shredded
- beetroot hummus
- In a large bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, spices, and garlic. Mix well.
- Cut steak into thin slices against the grain. Transfer to bowl with marinade, stir to coat well, and set aside 10 mins.
- Combine tahini, vinegar, oil, and 2 tbsp water in a small bowl. Stir well and add additional water until sauce reaches your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat a BBQ flat plate or heavy-based skillet to high. Drain marinade from meat. Cook the sliced steak in batches, searing well on one side before flipping. Transfer to a serving plate and repeat with remaining meat. It’s important not to crowd the pan so the meat sears instead of stewing.
- Serve beef shawarma with warmed pita, tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, hummus, and tahini sauce.