Veal shanks and vegetables
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 2 hours
4x Tasman veal shanks
½ tsp black pepper
¾ tsp salt
3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots, sliced
2 ½ cups chicken broth
½ kg mushrooms
1 bunch asparagus
1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add veal and cook, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Remove veal. Add shallots and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add broth and return veal to the pan. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer until veal is very tender, 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over high heat in a medium cooking skillet. Add mushrooms and salt to cook, stirring, until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
- When tender, remove veal from the pot, place on a platter, cover and keep warm. Raise heat to high and boil the liquid in the pot until reduced to about 1 ½ cups.
- Add asparagus and peas and cook just until asparagus is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms to pot and heat through. Stir in lemon juice to taste (you may not need it all) and ladle sauce and vegetables over veal.
- Can also serve on a bed of mashed potato. Sprinkle with lemon zest, serve and enjoy.